Intercept Portable Airplane/Vehicle Hangar
The bottom line is this: there’s no better way to protect electrical components, wafers or chips than with a semi-conductor. Intercept has the technology in place that combines this state-of-the-art concept in permanent ESD protection with un-equaled corrosion protection. Here are how some companies are using and benefiting from Intercept Technology.
Nichols Airborne Division of Parker Aerospace
Parker Hannifin Corporation
From the beginning of the jet age, pilots were safe knowing Nichols gerotor pumps would deliver the lubrication their aircraft engines and transmissions needed. Today, Nichols' custom designed, high-speed, lightweight pumps – which break through traditional lubrication paradigms – are found in over 150 currently flying aircraft. Nichols' superior pumps: match flow and altitude requirements with pump speed; integrate new materials; and utilize advanced processes to build pumps that cost-effectively meet or exceed all performance parameters.
Situation: Critical Pump Part Susceptible to Corrosion
While Nichols’ lubrication pumps are designed to be corrosion resistant, an inner working part, the steel gerotor, is susceptible to corrosion. Extremely tight manufacturing tolerance disallows any form of atmospheric degradation. When not assembled into the pump, the gerotor requires sufficient barrier packaging.
Problem: Worker Safety, Productivity & Operational Costs
To minimize corrosion, Nichols used MIL-B-131 barrier bags, requiring a nine-step, machine-based process involving heat sealing. This approach – especially in the company’s older facility where ventilation was inadequate (1997) – affected worker safety and productivity. When the company decided to move to a new plant, management didn’t want to incur new heat sealing and ventilation systems expense that would be required for continued use of MIL-B-131 barrier bags.
Solution: A Barrier Packaging Solution that Would
- Increase worker safety
- Increase productivity & packaging efficiency
- Ensure packaging reusability
- Eliminate the need for packing station equipment and maintenance.
Static Intercept Bags: Safe, Reliable, Reusable, Cost Effective
Static Intercept zipper-style bags solved all the problems. Without the need of heat-sealing or packing station equipment and a three-step packaging process, worker safety is no longer at risk and the process is easier – ensuring higher levels of productivity. If the gerotor part must be put into storage, requiring corrosion inspection after being picked to ship, the inspection can be performed without violating the integrity of the barrier package. In short, the bag doesn’t need to be reheated and resealed.
A Solution with Better Corrosion Protection
Prior to implementation, Nichols Aircraft thoroughly tested the Static Intercept bags both with accelerated independent laboratory testing and a real-time harsh environmental aging test.
- Laboratory test: based on rigorous military spec., MIL-STD-810D, including Salt Fog Test Method 509.2, 5% for 48 hours and Humidity Chamber Test, Method 507.2, Cycle #1, Natural
- Real-time test: placed parts in Static Intercept bags outside in the gutter of the building for seven days during summer
Results: 150,000 parts packaged, zero field defects
Since implementing the packaging program utilizing the static Intercept zipper style bags, Nichols Aircraft has packaged over 150,000 parts without a field defect due to corrosion in transit or in storage. In addition:
- Packaging workers are happier, safe from hazardous fumes, and more productive.
- The Quality Control department is now able to inspect stored parts without tearing packages, then resealing.
- The facilities department saved thousands of dollars by not having to equip the packaging department in their new plant with heat sealing equipment, ventilation ducts, filtering systems, and vacuums.
- Nichols spent the savings on equipment that was more productive to their manufacturing operation.
- Plus, of course, all this is possible while improving their packaging protection
Intercept Technology works for Nichols. Discover how it can work for you: Contact Liberty Packaging Co., Inc. at 781-849-3355, or mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org